SASTRA realizes the importance of providing a fine balance of research and teaching in its carefully designed academic programmes. This has resulted in over 60 successfully completed research projects and 54 ongoing research projects funded by the Department of Science & Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Department of AYUSH, Defence Research & Development Organization, Defence Research & Development Laboratory, Indian Space Research Organization, Council for Scientific & Industrial Research, Indian Council for Medical Research, etc., and private organizations like Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., Accenture, Orchid Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd., Brakes India Ltd., etc.
It is our basic belief that good researchers are well equipped to be good teachers – for, as they have developed a perspective of the future of technology, they are ideally suited to create human resources for both academia and industry.
Being acutely aware of the importance of interdisciplinary research to tackle scientific and technical challenges in a global scenario, this University has established the SASTRA Hub for Research & Innovation (SHRI) in its premises. The SHRI is a multi–disciplinary centre that has been a focal point of the University to translate laboratory innovations to product / technology development. Two phases of the Research Block have been established in an area of about 2,00,000 square feet at a cost of Rs 40 crore, exclusively funded by the Management of the University. One more research blocks have been planned in the next three years.
In addition, the following Centres have been established to foster multi–disciplinary research:
- TIFAC–CORE on Advanced Computing & Information Processing
- National Mechatronics Facility in collaboration with M/s. Brakes India Ltd.
- Centre for Advanced Research in Indian Systems of Medicine (CARISM)
- Centre for Nanotechnology & Advanced Biomaterials (CeNTAB)
- Central Instrumentation Facility
- Central Animal Facility for Preclinical Studies
- Centre for Advanced Research in Environment (CARE)
- National Facility for Development of Herbo–metallic Preparations of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani
- Centre for Excellence in Scientific Manufacturing of Ayurvedic & Siddha Rasa Aushadies and Bhasmas
- Centre for Information Super Highway (CISH)
- Centre for Optimization of Power & Energy Systems (COPES)
- Centre For Rural Development Studies (CFRDS)
- Centre for Nonlinear Science & Engineering (CeNSE)
- Centre for Computation Chemistry & Materials Science